Redington Hydrogen Trout Spey- Hyrdrogen trout spey models are excellent trout spey fishing rods. We have put them to the test on the Bighorn River and found them to be a tremendous value.
The 11' 2 weight is the perfect rod for folks who like swinging soft hackles and smaller, lightly weighted flies for average size trout. The 2 weight can handle flies up to the size of a smaller Wooly Bugger style pattern, as well as light sink tips. This is the perfect rod for swinging classic style soft hackles - super light and a ton of fun to cast!
The 11'3" 3 weight Hydrogen is the all-around workhorse of the Hydrogen trout spey lineup. This rod is equally at home swinging soft hackles on a floating line as it is dredging with a dumbbell eyed fly on a sink tip. While it won't cast enormous flies, the 3 weight is more than capable of fishing a single-hooked size 6 streamer with lead eyes. We fished this rod on the Bighorn River in Montana, and were super impressed. The 11'3" 3 weight is a great choice if you want one rod that will cover the vast majority of trout spey situations.
The 11'6" 4 weight is the heavy duty trout spey of the Hydrogen family. This rod is a good choice if you're swinging smaller articulated streamers, or fishing heavier sink tips and flies with a little more bulk or weight. That being said, a 14" fish is still a ton of fun on the 4 weight. You could still easily fish soft hackles and a floating line on this rod and have it be enjoyable, but the 4 weight has the backbone needed to turn over larger, heavier flies and tips when needed.
Hydrogen Trout Spey Models
|Model||Line Weight||Length||Rod Weight||Skagit Grain Weight||Scandi Grain Weight|
|2110-4||2 Weight||11'||3.6 oz.||200-225||175-200|
|3113-4||3 Weight||11'3"||4 oz.||250-275||200-225|
|4116-4||4 Weight||11'6"||4.4 oz||300-325||250-275|
Redington Hydrogen Rod Features
- The lightest rod in its class
- Super-tuned, smooth,medium-fast action blank construction
- Single-foot guides for increased tip recovery
- Skeletonized, CNC machined, anodized aluminum reel seat
- Pinpoint accuracy delivered through improved rod tracking
- Matte finish blank for flash reduction
- Section tips epoxy coated to prevent sticking
- Half-wells, premium grade cork handles
- Fully protected cordura rod tube with dividers
- Trout Spey models feature Scandi and Skagit grain ratings on rod blanks
- Trout Spey models feature downlocking skeletonized reel seats for superior in-hand balance
- Trout Spey models feature Zirconia stripping guide inserts to reduce guide/line freeze
- Lifetime warranty