Flymen Sculpin Helmets
Another highly innovative item from the guys at Flymen is the Sculpin Helmet, which is used in the same manner as the Fish Skull from the same company. Nearly all species of fish, especially big trout and Smallmouth Bass, prey on small, bottom dwelling baitfish, so it makes sense to have a few of these style flies lurking around in your fly box. They are super easy to use, you simply tie your fly as you always would, leaving a little space at the head. Then, you glue the head, and slide the skull over the still-tacky glue. Start your thread ahead of the helmet, make a few wraps, and whip finish and cement it. Stick the adhesive eyes into the pre-formed depressions. Done. Even the most amateur tyer can make these look great on any streamer pattern. They also now come in a smaller size, which is rated for use on a size 10-2 hook, so you can tie Mini Sculpzillas, Zonkers, and Slumpbusters with the fish-catching profile of the Sculpin Helmet. You've tied with cones, beads, and eyes, why not try something new? Stop by the shop and give 'em a try, you won't be disappointed.
Mini Sculpin Helmet
The Mini Sculpin Helmet is an exciting, smaller version of the popular Fish-Skull® Sculpin Helmet that has been specially developed for tying a broad range of freshwater and saltwater flies.
- A smaller and lighter Sculpin Helmet.
- Fits hooks in the #10 up to #2 hook size range
- Innovative new weed guard feature.
- Larger, more prominent Living Eyes™.
- Freshwater and saltwater colors -- olive , brown, and silver.
- Realistic flat and broad profile.
- Innovative front-fitting design makes it quick and easy to tie.
- Designed with a heavily weighted keel (bottom of the Sculpin Helmet) ensures your fliesalways swim in the hook-up position.
- Front slot designed for hooks and tube flies.
- Made in North Carolina, USA.
“The Mini is the newest addition to the Sculpin Helmet family and is perfect for tying smaller, weighted streamers to target freshwater species such as trout and saltwater flats species such as bonefish and redfish,” said Martin Bawden, CEO of Flymen Fishing Company.
“The smaller head is much lighter and about the same width as standard size bead-chain eyes. This makes for much easier casting and allows the fly to enter the water with less disturbance than heavier versions or dumbbells. In addition, the Mini Sculpin Helmet has an innovative new weed guard feature and is designed to fit a much larger range of hook sizes.”