Mercury Midge – Glass Bead Midge
This is one of the best flies to begin a tying career. These flies are simple to tie. Tying a glass bead midge teaches how to wrap thread and how to rib a body. Probably the best reason for tying this pattern is, that despite being so simple to tie, it catches loads of fish. For the waters I regularly fish, it makes more sense to tie a few dozen of these rather than tying a box full of wooly buggers.
Vary the thread colors to include black, olive, and red bodies. The availability of wire and thread colors makes for endless color combinations.
Originated by Pat Dorsey.
- Hook: Tiemco 2487 or 2457 or Daiichi 1130 or 1120
- Bead: Tyer’s Glass Bead Pearl
- Thread: 70 Denier Ultra Thread
- Rib: Copper or Silver Ultra Wire
- Thorax (optional): Ice Dubbing or Dry Fly Dubbing
For materials visit our Webstore: http://shop.flyfishsd.com